Summer is here and so are a whole array of seasonal vegetables! Today, we are putting the spotlight on a summer favorite – zucchini. Zucchini is naturally low in calories and rich in nutrients such as potassium, vitamin B6, and vitamin C. Check out the nutritious and delicious recipe below!
Melty-Cheesy Zucchini Boats
Prep: 20 minutes Cook: 30 minutes Serving: 8
4 medium zucchini (about 8oz each)
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 lb ground turkey
1 tbsp minced garlic (3 cloves)
1 cup chopped yellow onion (1 small)
1 -14.5oz can petite diced tomatoes, drained
2 tsp Italian seasoning
⅔ cup panko breadcrumbs, divided
½ cup low-fat shredded mozzarella
⅔ cup shredded parmesan cheese, divided
1 ½ tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 13×9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Using a spoon, scoop centers from zucchini while leaving a ¼-inch rim on all sides to create a boat. Drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the other 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and sauté 3 minutes.
- Add ground turkey, cook through, while breaking up meat during cooking. Add garlic during the last minute of cooking.
- Remove from heat and stir in tomatoes, ⅓ cup panko breadcrumbs and Italian seasoning. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle ⅓ cup parmesan over zucchini boats, then divide filling among zucchini boats.
- In a small mixing bowl stir together the mozzarella cheese, remaining parmesan, and remaining panko breadcrumbs. Sprinkle mixture over zucchini boats.
- Bake in the oven until tender, about 10 – 15 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley and serve warm.
Calories per serving: 268 Total Carbohydrates 10grams, Protein 23 grams, Fat 15 grams
This recipe is inspired by our very own dietitian Abbey Granger, MS, RDN, LD food blog, The Food Mood RD.