November 6th is National Nacho Day! Thanksgiving is also in November, so why not combine the two together as a fun and delicious twist on two classics? Nachos are known for their cheesy, creamy texture and spicy flavor which can be high in calories and fat. This dish can be made healthier by using lean proteins like ground turkey, leftover turkey from Thanksgiving, or beans to reduce fats. Beans are high in fiber which can be beneficial for lowering cholesterol. Thanksgiving leftovers can be boring but reusing foods for this dish can help eliminate waste while also tasting different. Try out this festive dish today!
Prep: 10 minutes Cook: 15 minutes Serving: 1
10 sweet potato or pumpkin tortilla chips
2 oz of lean ground turkey cooked or pinto beans (or 1 oz of both)
Salt and pepper to taste
Dash of cumin and cayenne pepper
¼ cup chopped white onion
2 tablespoons of sweet corn
2-3 tablespoons of cranberry jalapeno salsa (recipe below)
1 cup shredded mixed greens
¼ cup of fresco cheese
Cranberry Jalapeno Salsa Ingredients:
1 tomato diced
3 tablespoons of cranberry relish
¼ cup diced pickled jalapenos
Ju8ice of ½ lime
2 sprigs of fresh cilantro, torn
- In a large skillet or cooking pan, saute onions for about 1 minute then add ground turkey or beans, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper and cook for 10 minutes until it reaches 165℉.
- While the ground turkey is cooking, prepare the cranberry jalapeno salsa by combining all of the ingredients into a food processor for 30 seconds to 1 minute depending on how smooth or chunky you like salsa. Pour into a container and chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- When the ground turkey is finished cooking, turn off the heat and set it aside to begin assembling the nachos.
- On a large plate, place 1 serving of sweet potato or pumpkin tortilla chips (10 chips) and about 2 oz of ground turkey or beans onto chips.
- Layer on top with mixed greens, sweet corn, cranberry jalapeno salsa, and fresco cheese.
Making food at home can be a fun family activity creating tasty, healthy dishes together especially during the holidays.
Compare popular restaurant nachos with this healthier option.
Nutrients per Serving:
|Applebee’s Beef Nachos
(2 servings per order)
|1015 calories (2030 calories full plate)
|64 g carbohydrates
|44 g protein
|65 g fat
|3570 mg sodium
Written by BWS Dietetic Intern– Amanda Tobac