Slow Cooker Turkey and Black Bean Chili
This chili recipe is packed with black beans rich in soluble fiber, which may help lower LDL (“bad”) cholesterol. It also utilizes no-salt-added canned items and dried herbs that are not only affordable but heart-healthy as well.
- 2 lbs. ground, skinless turkey breast
- 2 cans no-salt-added black beans (rinsed, drained)
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can no-salt-added, diced tomato (undrained)
- 2 cans no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano (crumbled)
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 4 medium garlic cloves (minced)
- Place ingredients in crockpot. Cover and cook over low setting for 8-10 hours, or over high setting for 3-4 hours.
- Pair this meal with a serving of veggies and a whole-grain roll or brown rice to create a balanced meal.
- Can’t find no salt or sodium added beans? Rinse the beans under running water to remove excess salt.
Recipe from the American Heart Association