Vegetables for Breakfast
Read Time: 1 minute 32 seconds
Vegetables are not just for lunch or dinner anymore. They can be a great sidekick to eggs and multigrain toast as well! It can be challenging to consume the total recommended daily amount of vegetables (1-3 cups per day), especially if there is only 1 serving being consumed at lunch and dinner.
Vegetables contain many different nutrients, such as vitamin C, vitamin A, potassium, and fiber, that are important for health. These nutrients can also prevent certain cancers and decrease risk of heart disease. They come in an array of colors and pair well with many different foods. Consider grating zucchini and carrots, then bake it into a favorite muffin or pancake mix. If you are in a hurry, blend up a smoothie with spinach, kale, and rhubarb, then add frozen pineapple or berries and/or soy milk to sweeten.
For something a bit more creative, quick, and nutritious, try making veggie egg cups. Prepare the night before or the morning of and refrigerate or freeze the leftover cups to have for the following morning or a day when you are in a hurry.
Veggie Egg Cups
Makes 12 muffin cups
1 Cups of Egg Whites
¼ Cup of Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
½ teaspoon of Salt
½ teaspoon of Pepper
½ teaspoon of Garlic Powder
½ teaspoon of Onion Powder
1.5 Cup Chopped Yellow Squash
1.5 Cup Chopped Broccoli Pieces
- Pre-heat oven to 350 and spray muffin cups with non-stick cooking spray then set aside.
- Prepare the vegetables and cut the yellow squash and broccoli into small pieces and set aside as well.
- In a large mixing bowl combine the 6 eggs, 1 cups of egg whites, salt, pepper, garlic, and onion powder.
- Mix all the vegetables together and evenly scoop ¼ cup of vegetables into each muffin well.
- Finish by pouring the egg mixture into the wells and fill up to the top and sprinkle the shredded cheese on top and with a spoon give it a small stir to combine.
Bake for 20-25 minutes
2 Veggie Egg Cups:
126 calories / 2.6g carbohydrates / 7g fat / 12.6g protein
(1/2 Cup of Vegetables)
Next Article: COVID-19 Vaccine, April 2021 – Be Well Solutions