Most of us feel like we are in survival mode as we return to the workplace. We have also gained the “COVID-19 pounds”. Take the following steps to healthfully go back to work. Be kind to yourself and slowly integrate health behaviors (back) into your life. These 2 major steps are meant to help you thrive during this time and not add more stress.
This means to increase your awareness of what influences your food choices. Consider the following:
- Why am I eating? Am I hungry or am I stressed? Is this physical hunger or an emotional response?
- Enjoy your food. Use all your senses to enjoy your food. This means you eat slowly, take small bites and chew thoroughly.
- No distractions. Take time to enjoy your food. Stop working for a period, turn off the screen and put down your phone. This will help you be mindful of your satiety and let you know when you are full, so you don’t overeat.
Plan your meals.
This may take time to get into a consistent routine, but it will be well worth the effort. Take the following steps to plan your healthful snacks and meals for the work week.
- Eat breakfast – Find a grab-and-go smoothie or egg
- Build a balanced lunch – Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and lean meats.
- Sensible snacking – Swap out crunchy chips for crunchy carrots. Switch sweet items for fruit.
- Grocery List – Now that you have planned your meals, you can make a grocery list so you can shop without distractions. This might help your food budget, too.
- Bake, chop, and pre-portion meals and snacks for the week.
See other articles in the Wellness for HR Professional SERIES:
Wellness for the HR Professional: Emotional Health
Wellness for the HR Professional: Sleep Hygiene